[Sca-cooks] peeling onions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 20:38:44 PDT 2003

  Samira replied to me with:
> > Can anyone tell me the best way to peel an onion? How much should be
> > removed? Is there an easy way?
Thank you for your ideas. And to the others as well. Of course
quartering and/or chopping the pearl onions is a bit counterproductive.
Why pay the four times or more expensive price for the pearl onions
except for appearance? If you chop them up then you are losing why you
bought them.
> > Stefan
> > (No one showed up for the revel except my wife and I and the host.
> But
> > will get to finish off the meat at lunch tomorrow at work)
>
> I've wanted to go to both mini-revels, but I have a job, and no
> babysitter, so I have to work Saturdays.
Was the lack of a babysitter why you didn't attend the revel? Deirdre's
son Jonathon (age 7) would have loved some more children there and was
rather disappointed that there weren't. Alina tried to call some of the
folks who she knew in the barony to try to entice them to come over and
bring their kids. But a larger proportion of the barony than I thought
would go was off at Gothic Wars. By the way, some of you in Atlantia
probably know Deirdre. She was your Atlantian bard until she moved back
to here. Nah. Nah. Your loss. Our gain. :-)

> I'm entering books into a database at a dollar a book.
I'd be interested in talking to you offline about what information you
are entering. I started creating a database of my library last summer
but lost it in my disk crash last April. Now I have started again, but
this time using a database I've developed in FileMaker Pro 6. Which is
considerably more powerful than the database program I was using. But
surprisingly, they don't have any library cataloging programs in their
included or website databases. Perhaps I should be entering different
or additional data than I am.

You are faster at entering the data than I am. Plus it generally bores
me. Too repetitive. But since it is a hobby I can't justify paying
someone else to do it either. :-( So far I've only gotten 129 entries
done. I'm trying to get them cataloged as I pack them for moving but
may give up and do it as I unpack them. Or later.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com