[Sca-cooks] peeling onions/inability to cut onions

Leah A. Montgomery mog_bane at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 08:55:04 PDT 2003

>All the suggestions so far work to some degree, but I think my personal
>favorites so far are a combination of these three:
>
>(1) make sure your non-serrated knife is sharp
>(2) make sure your onions are cold
>(3) wear swim goggles and hospital gloves

>Put them in the freezer for a few minutes before you cut them.

>Or hold a slice of bread in your mouth

>Maybe a different type of onion?

>work near a fan or open window. plenty of ventilation helps. getting a
>small battery powered fan to >blow across the board helps disperse the
>chemicals faster.

>I've found that a lit candle near the cutting board can help.

This must be done on the full moon of an alternate month, but only on
Tuesdays. Set up your fan near the work board, run the onions under cold
water then freeze them for 2.5 minutes, and place them in the refrigerator
for another 3.75 minutes. Light your candle, but make sure that the fan
cannot blow it out. Open your window. (If it's winter, the shivering will
help take you mind off of the onion juice.) Don your surgical gloves and
swim goggles, do the onion cutting war dance three times, sharpen your knife
in preparation of the sacrifice of said onion. Do not use a serrated knife!!
To do so is to raspberry the onion dieties in the face, they will get you!
Pray to whatever personal diety you believe in. Take a deep breath, put a
piece of bread in your mouth, put in your contact lenses *without removing
the goggles!!* and cut away.

Sorry for the irreverance, but I couldn't help myself. On a serious note
though, I'd just get frozen onions, or if you really want to cut the onions
yourself, cut them all at the same time, then freeze them. It saves on later
time, and you only have to suffer once.

Leah A. Montgomery
SCA: Safia bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira
Head of Byat Al Viola Hirrar
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra (Austin, TX)
mog_bane at hotmail.com