[Sca-cooks] courtesy, was genetically engineereed foods

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Sep 3 18:54:08 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> you know...... courtesy is one of the virtues that the SCA is supposed to
be
> encouraging.  i suggest you try it some time.

Well, you know, I'll do that, if you read what I said, rather than how you
choose to interpret it. I expressed my opinion that persons, whatever their
label, who refuse perfectly good food are idiots. You seem to have taken it
to mean that I have some particular bias against some group or other you
have strong ties with.

OTOH, because of my dietary preferences, these same peoples you are
defending have referred to folk with my dietary preferences as unclean,
damned, politically incorrect, socially unaware, among many other labels. If
they have the right to categorize my preferences, then I most certainly have
the right to determine what categories I fit preferences I don't agree with,
too.

> the definition of "perfectly good food" is subjective.  many people wont
eat
> maggots, but in some areas of the world these are "perfectly good food".

We all have preferences. Personally, I prefer dark poultry meat to light
poultry meat, lamb to any other red meat, duck and goose to any poultry, and
lobster and oysters above any other seafood, not to mention I usually prefer
highly spiced foods, but that doesn't mean I won't eat the ones I like less.
I've even eaten <shudder> bell peppers and anise/black licorice flavored
foods, and they're the absolutely awfulest things anyone can put in their
mouths, but I wouldn't refuse to eat them because of any religious
preference set on me by others, nor call folk damned or whatever because
they happen to like them. I just don't eat them, if I can possibly avoid it.

> (and for the record, the jewish laws state that life is more important
than
> the dietary laws "to save a life" pre-empts anything but respect for G-d)

Good for them. Jews are, above all else, practical people, not to mention
intensely hard headed and determined to do the right things, by their
lights. I can easily respect that. The Jewish laws were designed to protect
the people, using anecdotal experience, from very real hazards in their
countries of origin, and in those time periods, but that's an entirely
different subject, and a complete digression from the original point I was
trying to bring out:

Which is:

Don't let the demagogues herd you into the mob mentality of utterly
rejecting all bio-engineered foods, when you don't really understand exactly
what bio-engineered means. Once you DO understand, then make your choices,
using reason, instead of mob mentality.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.