[Sca-cooks] NOT OT: genetically engineereed foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 21:25:12 PDT 2003

Lorenz commented:
> Kirsten Houseknecht wrote:
> > now, if you cut a gene from that into other food..... it could KILL a
> > person who has NO warning that , say, a garlic gene was spliced into
> > the tomato to make it more resistant to some blight. (or whatever)
> > this is one reason why i say label ANYthing that has been modified
> > from the "expected norm".
>
> Do you have any cites for this?  My limited understanding of immunology
> and genetic engineering makes me think this is extraordinarily
> unlikely.
>
> Not that I'm arguing against labeling, mind you.  More information =
> more better.
Maybe. It depends upon how much there is and how relevant it is to you.
You could get so much info, if you were given all possibly harmful
compounds that are harmful to someone, that you can't easily determine
whether something is okay for you to eat or not. Or it could be overly
broad such as "contains artifically spliced genetic material" or
"contains pork genetic material" that you end up avoiding most foods,
even though most of the genetic material transferred would not generate
the particular compound that is harmful to you.

However, this same genetic science that is progressing so fast as to
make genetic manipulation possible will probably also allow us to
determine exactly which compounds someone is allergic to. Then, if a
more complete statement on what a food has had manipulated were
available, you could decide to eat that peach with the pork genes
added, but avoid that carrot that had the pork gene added that created
the X2Y3bCS protein.
Stefan
I *want* to be able to buy irradiated milk and meats. But because of
the public hysteria over the use of irradiation to preserve foods, I
can't.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com