[Sca-cooks] baking soda vs. baking powder

adamantius at verizon.net adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Sep 5 05:20:33 PDT 2003

> From: "Terry Decker" <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
> Date: 2003/09/05 Fri AM 07:03:22 CDT
> To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [Sca-cooks] baking soda vs. baking powder
>
> I suspect I may be sensitive to the taste of akalines.
>
> Bear

Yabbut, that was kind of my point. In a properly made soda bread, those
alkalines would be almost totally neutralized, and, effectively, wouldn't be in
the final product. Surely personal experience counts for a lot in this, but
isn't it just as likely to find an bad soda bread recipe which leaves a
sour-tasting product (due to un neutralized acids) as a bitter one? I mean,
either one or the other is neutralized, leaving either no residue, or leftover
acid, or leftover alkalai.

Or is this a classic case of the difference between theory and practice?

Adamantius