[Sca-cooks] hello there

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 17:30:15 PDT 2003

--- Samrah <thlsamrah at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello, I really should have introduced myself
> to this group. You guys are wonderful! I'm
> Samrah, and I have been playing in the SCA for
> the past 18 years. Palestinian embroidery is my
> first love. I cook an extensive luncheon for
> every event I attend and tend to feed anyone
> who will stand still long enough. This seems to
> be a Bedouin trait ;o) I do mostly SCA cooking,
> not true period redactions so I tend to
> research more into what foodstuffs were
> available and how they were prepared.
>
> Since my cooking is informal, although I do all
> my baking by hand, I do use some other modern
> conveniences, like baking powder & soda (a bit
> like duct tape in the tourney erics), but
> attempt to keep the effect believable--ie, no
> raw tomatoes, chocolate except in beverages,
> certainly no modern munchies, etc., in the
> encampment. While it is probable that cookies
> were not done much in period (too small and
> individual of an item), I often make
> Snickerdoodles with various spice blends for
> events. Although the sugar on the outside of
> the Snickerdoodles may well have been too
> expensive to use, they tend to have a more
> believable effect than chocolate chip or peanut
> butter or the more fancy Danish cookies our
> family does.
>
> I am really enjoying the recipes and period
> discussions and the good-natured humor of this
> group.
>
> Samrah

Hi Samrah!  Good to see you here!  Are you still
selling spices?  This list is always looking for
a good spicer, especially since Francois Sirene
seems to have disappeared off the Web.

If any of you ever get the wonderful privilege of
meeting Samrah, when she isn't stuffing you with
food to make sure you aren't going to die from
hunger in the next three minutes, ask to see her
herb and spice book that she has made.  It is a
real marvel.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.