[Sca-cooks] Camel Ribs

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Fri Sep 5 21:05:21 PDT 2003

Don't marinade, rub.

Take salt, sugar, spices and rub it *all over* those ribs.  Let it set
for a bit for the "cure" to take (depending on the thickness of the meat
and how "hard" of a cure you want, anywhere from a few hours to
overnight).  Next, rinse the rub *off* completely, then *dry thoroughly*
with towels.  If you don't dry thoroughly, your ribs will taste
downright sooty.  Nasty.  Creosote.  (Ask Christianna about my ribs at
Fools' War 2002.)

Smoke slow, with as little smoke as possible.  (It's that creosote
thing, again.)  Choose a sweeter wood, not hickory (which isn't period,
anyways) for your smoker.  Try to find something period for an area with
camels, if possible.

Not knowing the health risks of camel meat, I'd say treat like pork for
internal temperature.  (Unless someone else has better information.
Maybe like lamb?  Beef?)  Use your marinade for basting in the last hour
of cooking.