[Sca-cooks] snickerdoodles

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Sat Sep 6 08:47:29 PDT 2003

Terry Decker wrote:

>Vanilla extract is acid enough to trigger the soda.  And that does appear in
>some snickerdoodle recipes.
>
>Bear

:)  One of my favorite recipes growing up was caramel popcorn.  We'd
make the caramel on the stovetop - boil sugar, corn syrup and butter,
take it off the heat and add baking soda and vanilla.  We'd add the
baking soda first, and it would come foaming to the top like mad.
Before it overflowed, we'd add the vanilla to make it subside.  It was
fun science in the kitchen.  As opposed to the kind of science that
happens with leftovers in the fridge...

Still one of my favorite autumn treats, though I wonder if I can use
honey or simple syrup instead of corn syrup.

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei