[Sca-cooks] I'm back! (Be afraid? :-/ )

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Sun Sep 7 18:58:09 PDT 2003

Welcome back!

Language is not constant, but is continuously evolving.  Webster's
online dictionary defines redact as "to put in writing" or "to select
or adapt for publication."  Both of these definitions are rather
broader than the one you gave, and both could be applied to the
activities of the cooks on the list.

Your post derided jargon as something that serves only to make the
discussions of those on the "inside" more incomprehensible and
impressive to those on the "outside".  While this may sometimes be the
case, it is certainly not always true.  Jargon serves as a sort of
"shorthand" form for a concept that is used frequently by a group.
There are a number of words used by medical doctors which describe
things like diseases or procedures which either have no meaning or a
very different one outside of the medical profession.  This is not
(normally) an attempt to confound the patients or to impress other
doctors, but is a more efficient method for communicating specifics
between doctors.

Also, jargon can afford a finer degree of precision in speech and
writing than would normally be present.  Consider the various terms for
snow used by skiers (or surfers).  They allow one person to clearly
describe environmental conditions to another to a very specific level.

In the SCA cooking community, the word "redact" and all of its variants
has a very specific meaning -- one that may differ substantially from
what would be understood by other groups (e.g. translators, librarians,
etc...).  Here the word would seem to mean (allowing for differences in
opinion) the conversion of a period recipe into a modern form suitable
for sharing with the rest of the community.  There is (to me) a
distinct difference between a "redaction" and an "interpretation".
Interpreting a recipe allows for a wider range of variation.  For
example, the person doing the interpretation might be trying to create
a dish which is pleasing to a wide audience, and may take substantial
liberties with the source recipe in the process.  Whereas the same
person may redact the same source recipe in order to come as close as
possible to what would have been cooked in period so that they could
better understand the tastes of a particular time and place.

In short, I disagree.

- Doc

  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)
  http://www.medievalcookery.com/