[Sca-cooks] OT: Kitchen appliances and gadgets

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 10 15:52:25 PDT 2003

Jane Boyko wrote:
> I am getting married next year and am getting ready to do the bridal
> registry thing.
>
> I am wondering what tools and toys people like the best in their
> kitchen and why.  Have you tried a particular tool only to prefer a
> different brand.

Some of my favorite toys and tools, in no particular order:

KitchenAid stand mixer
Cuisinart food processor (the medium-sized one)
Braun MultiMix (hand-held motor with attachments for hand mixing, immersion
blending, and a mini food processor)
Several good, thick wood cutting boards
Calphalon commercial sautee and sauce pans
Lodge cast iron pans
Generic ceramic-coated cast iron Dutch oven
Heavy-duty large steel roasting pan with V rack
Microplane grater/zester
Good, indestructible kitchen shears
Polder and Pyrex electronic probe thermometers
Rival 12 cup rice cooker/steamer
Small marble mortar and pestle
New Braunfels charcoal grill
Lots of OXO gadgets

Stuff I'm still lusting over, but don't have yet:

A real six burner, two oven range/cooktop
Good ice cream maker (any recommendations, anyone?)
Set of good bannetons
The large Lodge Dutch oven