[Sca-cooks] coffee mills, was: galangale

Rosine nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Wed Sep 10 18:13:16 PDT 2003

> I run toast pieces through mine, though I hear that rice will
>also work well and might be good for stubborn stuck on stuff.
>
> [Le Menagier's Household Hints strikes again... "First, when
>you grind spices and bread for any sauces or soups, you must
> grind the spices first and remove them from the mortar, for as
> you grind the bread it will gather up any spices remaining; thus
> you do not lose any speck which would be lost otherwise."]
>
> -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

   So if I were making a small batch of "Chicken McNuggets" (what on earth
is the actual name for those things, anyway?), then I could maybe grind my
spices first and use the necessary bread to finish cleaning the coffee
grinder - and not lose any of the spices in the process?
   Sounds like wisdom to me.

   Speaking of coffee grinders, I've finally worn my husband down and he's
agreed that I can buy one (it's not a "can/can't afford it" question but
rather a "not another appliance we hardly use sitting on the counter!"
question.... and he drinks  *shudder* whatever the cheapest pre-ground
coffee is findable at the Commissary. I'm working on him.) So anyway -
anyone have any suggestions as to which models or brands to stay away from?
It's not going to get a great deal of use and will be mainly for grinding
the occasional bit of beans that _I_ want for some coffee. But I've been
paying attention to spice-grinding and wouldn't mind making it serve
double-duty. I'm such a seldom-cook that I don't even have a food processor
or even a blender.

Rosine/Hróðny Rognvaldsdottir
--
Cat Resolution: I will not stick my paw into any container to see if there
is
nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org