[Sca-cooks] coffee mills, was: galangale

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 10 21:19:34 PDT 2003

  Magdalena vander Brugghe asked:
> Speaking of using coffee mills for grinding spices, how do ya'll
> effectively clean your coffee/spice mills?  Obviously, I can't really
> put mine in the dishwasher.  It has so many hard to reach places around
> and under the blades that I never feel it's effectively clean.  Not
> that
> it's a germ hazard, but I really don't want my cinnamon to taste like
> cumin and vice versa.
Not surprisingly, that has been discussed here before. I believe the
most common suggestion, and this can be found in period as well, is to
grind a bit of bread after the spice.

I believe you can find the comments about this in my spices-msg and
probably other spice files in the Florilegium.

Is your grinder a motorized one? If so, I'm not sure putting it in the
dishwasher is a good idea.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas