[Sca-cooks] coffee mills, was: galangale

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 10 11:37:28 PDT 2003

>  Speaking of using coffee mills for grinding spices, how do ya'll
>  effectively clean your coffee/spice mills?  Obviously, I can't really
>  put mine in the dishwasher.  It has so many hard to reach places around
>  and under the blades that I never feel it's effectively clean.  Not that
>  it's a germ hazard, but I really don't want my cinnamon to taste like
>  cumin and vice versa.
>
>  -Magdalena vander Brugghe

Many spices are oily and cling to the inside of the grinder. Just
brushing doesn't get them out well enough, in my opinion.

First i put a bunch of white granulated sugar in and give it a whirl.
The sugar picks up particles of spices left behind.

Then i brush out any sugar residue. Then i wipe with a paper towel.

Anahita