[Sca-cooks] turkey roasters

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Thu Sep 11 07:18:19 PDT 2003

> So, how are these different from putting a roasting pan in the oven?
> Perhaps in a roasting bag? What are the pros and cons of each? What
> else might these roasters be used for? chicken(s)? a pork or beef roast?

As Jadwiga said, they are essentially a huge crock pot.  They can be
used for chicken - you can fit two or more in there, as well as pork or
beef roasts.  You can also use them for huge pots of soup or stewed
veggies.  The advantages over an oven are that, well, if you're cooking
a huge Thanksgiving feast, it doesn't tie up your oven for 5 hours.  You
can put it in a corner of the dining room or out in the garage or
anywhere out of the way.  And, it does truely cook the turkey in about
half the time.  I assume this has to do with it's size - the turkey fits
in it pretty snugly, so the heating is more conductive rather than
convective.

I do recommend the kind with the warming pan inserts, like Jadwiga
mentioned.  When I went to buy mine, I looked for that kind and
apparantly they were out of production.  Dissapointed, I bought another
kind.  A few weeks later, I found the ones with the warming pans.
Apparantly they were making them again.

-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei