[Sca-cooks] turkey roasters

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Sep 11 07:23:23 PDT 2003

> > Perhaps in a roasting bag? What are the pros and cons of each? What
> > else might these roasters be used for? chicken(s)? a pork or beef roast?
>
> My local group just bought 4, to be used for different kinds of roasts--
> but the ones we bought also had the 'buffet insert' so they could be used
> to put out breakfasts, etc. and keep them hot without using the sterno-can
> arrangement. It worked quite well, and apparently they can also be used
> for holding food at safe temperatures-- they are essentially a crockpot as
> I understand it?
>
> -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

I bought two for our barony for 12th night, to add to the two we already
had. And I bought one for me, and borrowed two more, because we couldn't
actually use the stoves or ovens at the site. You can do losyns for 200 in
two roasters, and caboches en potage in one. Roasters are wonderful
things. They are basically giant crock pots with temperature control. I
used them as a combination of ovens and warming pans, depending on which
part of the feast it was and whether the food item had been pre-cooked or
not.

Margaret