[Sca-cooks] galangale

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 11 08:58:28 PDT 2003

So, what is a "galantyne"? Somehow, I don't think it is a long rowed
boat made of galangale...
Stefan

There is a recipe in Fabulous Feasts (I know, I know, but it is a very good,
tasty recipe) for Galantine Pie.  It involves galangale.  The closest I've
found in a real source is for Grete Pyes, invlovling several types of game,
fruits and spices.   This is my favorite recipe from F.F., and I still make
it even though the book has been relegated to the back of my shelf.
Here it is:

Galantine Sauce
Spiced Broth for Fish

Ingredients						Bobby Hightower’s Recipe

1 cup crumbled bread crusts			1/3  cup bread crusts
¾ tsp. Galingale powder				1 tsp. Galingale powder
¾ tsp. Cinnamon					 ¼ tsp. Cinnamon
¼ tsp. Ginger            			¼ tsp. Ginger
¼ tsp. Salt						 Salt to taste
2 cups beef broth					1 cup beef broth
2 Tbsp. Wine vinegar  				2 Tbsp. Wine vinegar

Method
1.	Unite spices and salt evenly with bread crumbs.
2.	Slowly simmer spiced crumbs in the broth and vinegar for 7 minutes.
Serve with fish or green vegetables.

Galantine Pie

Ingredients
Same ingredients for Galantine Sauce, plus:

½ cup lean beef, minced small			 2/3  cup currants
½ cup chicken breast, minced small			½ cup dates, pits removed, cut fine
2 Tbsp. Butter for sautéing				1 9-inch pie shell and lid
2/3 cup bog berries or cranberries

Method

1.	Prepare galantine sauce and reserve.  Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2.	Briefly sauté beef and chicken in hot butter.  Remove from pan and drain.
3.	Combine evenly the meats and the fruits.
4.	Place in pie shell and pour on 1 ½ cups of the galantine sauce.
5.	Cover pie with pastry lid, carefully sealing and crimping the edges.
Prick top in several places.
6.	Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until well browned.

From: Fabulous Feasts – Medieval Cookery and Ceremony by Madeleine Pelner
Cosman, 1976