[Sca-cooks] Questions about cleanliness and food safety at Viking Era event

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 21:49:15 PDT 2003

  UlfR replied to Sharon with:
> Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> wrote 2003.09.11:
> > The question has arisen, for Real Viking I and other events where we
> > wish to be highly authentic, what steps can one take to assure proper
> > hygiene (especially in the kitchen) with period materials and
> > techniques?
>
> > Is there a period hand-lotion to use after this
> > harsh-on-the-skin substance?  Sand gets suggested as well.
>
> Period (to the viking age) as in documentable, or as in "quite
> possible"? For the latter try using suitable fats (sheeps tallow,
> lanolin, etc), beeswax, etc as the base for a cream.
There are several files in the PERSONAL CARE section of the Florilegium
which might be of use, but again as UlfR comments, I'm not sure if they
are period for the Norse.
Handcream-art     (16K)  6/ 5/00    "Handcream" by Constance de LaRose.
handcream-msg      (9K)  2/10/97    Medieval lotions and handcreams.
recipes.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas