[Sca-cooks] turkey roasters

Ariane H phoenissa at netscape.net
Fri Sep 12 06:37:58 PDT 2003

StefanliRous at austin.rr.com wrote:

> Yes, until they replace the goose with the "new, improved goose" which
> doesn't have all that nasty, unhealthful, wasteful fat. :-)
> Stefan

Hey, goose fat's not at all wasteful - you can save it (or duck fat) for
cooking with...potatoes can be extraordinarily good fried in that
stuff.  Obviously not something to use every day, but if you're only
making goose a couple times a year, why not?

The only time I have cooked a goose - for that matter, the only time
I've eaten any part of one other than the foie gras - it was wild, and
it had almost no fat at all.  It was a gift from a friend, whose dad
hunts the birds, and she warned me that it would be a little on the dry
and gamey side.  So rather than roast, I cut it into pieces and braised
it in red wine and chicken stock for hours and it was pretty good that
way.  What little excess fat there was came out in the first step of
browning the meat.

The only time I cooked duck, it was only legs, but I still got a couple
tablespoons of fat from it which I saved and used for sauteeing potatoes
and mushrooms with generous amounts of fresh thyme.  Not at all wasteful. ;)

Vittoria