[Sca-cooks] OT: Kitchen appliances and gadgets

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Sep 12 10:09:49 PDT 2003

Jane Boyko wrote:

> I am getting married next year and am getting ready to do
> the bridal registry thing.

Did you know that even HomeDepot has a wedding registry?  <g>

> I am wondering what tools and toys people like the best in
> their kitchen and why.  Have you tried a particular tool
> only to prefer a different brand.
>
> I have a good collection of tools but could always use more.
> I am set for knives.  I have little or no small appliances.
>
> Marina

See if you can get a copy of "The Cooks' Catalog" (published
in 1975; available used starting at $15 from alibris.com)

... or "The New Cooks' Catalogue" (used starting at $11 or
new for $25 from amazon.com)

... or "Pierre Franey's Kitchen" (published in 1984,
used $4 from alibris.com; used hardcover $7 from amazon.com;
or used paperback $2 from amazon.com)

Each one will show (and explain how to use more kitchen
toys than you would have room for).

As to the toys themselves ... here are 2 that I didn't see
anyone else suggest ...

*** Clay oven roaster ...

    either Schlemmertopf
    ( http://www.scheurich-keramik.de/english/index.html
    click products then Schlemmertopf )

    or Romertopf ( http://www.romertopfonline.com/ )

    ... They are somewhat fragile, but can cook without
    loss of moisture; avoid buying the glazed type.  They
    come in several sizes: either too small for what you
    are cooking or too large for your oven ... just kidding,
    but be sure to get the right size.  They cost between
    $30 and $70.

*** A mandoline to slice, dice, Julienne, shred, grate,
    ... (amazon.com lists 8 for $10 to $100)

I have a Brom mandoline that was purchased just before last
year's MetalSmith's Symposium ... it saved my *ss!!! ($99
from Master Grinding Service http://www.mastergrinding.com/ )

Some points to consider: stainless steel (no plastic to melt
-- can go into the dishwasher); think about what will collect
the output from the slicer ... the bowl/tray has to fit under
it or be big enough that the entire slicer sits inside.
A friend mentioned using one in a commercial kitchen that
attached directly to a stainless steel mixing bowl in a stand
for stability.

I'm thinking large scale cooking here ... aren't we all?

--
Martin G. Diehl

Reality -- That which remains after you stop thinking
about it.

All replies and comments accepted and considered.
Adoption of your suggestions are at my sole discretion.
Award criteria are unpublished and are considered to
be a trade secret.  As such, awards for your responses
cannot be guaranteed.  Incoming flames may be stored
for use during severe winters or may be circulated for
deep analysis, peer review, and/or literary criticism.