[Sca-cooks] When to Pick Quince?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 13 21:27:14 PDT 2003

A quince ripens in a manner similar to apples and pears to which they are
related.

Persimmons (all persimmons, not just D. texana) have fruit that are
persistent on the tree and tend to ripen late in the season.  They don't
need a freeze to help them ripen (tropical varieties ripen just fine without
a frost) but they are likely to be ripening at a time when frosts occur.  A
ripe persimmon is soft and pulpy. Freezing will break down the cell walls in
the hard fruit, leaving the texture similar to that of a ripe persimmon.

Bear