[Sca-cooks] larding turkeys and other meats

widener wideners at hilconet.com
Sun Sep 14 00:24:10 PDT 2003

Lorenz is right, the critical point for a juicy turkey is the 170 degree
internal temperature taken at the juncture of the leg and the thigh. Withe
allowence for 15 degees of carryover heat after removing it from a heat
source of say 275 degrees, it should hit the table just as it is reaching
the max heat. I even like to go 160, anything over a 140 for 30 minutes
satisfies killing the salmonella. Timing is everything.
The cajun method of injecting turkey with a wildly flavorful chicken stock
is superior to all. And then cooking it fast to crisp up the outside, Oh My,
MY.
No medieval turkeys though, had to be goose, swan or peacock.
Isn't there a overpopulation of snowgeese along the Canadian border states?
Can these be had live so we could fatten them on corn and have a low cost
feast of goose? Anyone up there?
Bro Stephon

hn Kemker" <john at kemker.org>