Peacock Re: [Sca-cooks] larding turkeys and other meats

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 09:22:17 PDT 2003

Alex Clark wrote:

> At 10:16 AM 9/15/2003 -0400, Doc wrote:
> >I also wonder about it being a "status dish".  From those I've talked
> >to who have raised them, peacocks are exceedingly easy to care for -
> >much more so than chickens.
>
> Perhaps the main expense was for skilled labor, not for the bird.
>
> Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark

A peacock isn't just dinner, it's also part of the decor for your castle
grounds!  Let's face it, the average chicken isn't particularly
decorative.

Peacocks [and peahens] will pretty much take care of themselves, but they
are NOISY.  Waaah!  Waaah!  Calling potential mates a mile away, all day
and night.  Forget sleep.  Forget your dogs getting any sleep either.  If
they weren't protected by municipal law in the area around the Los Angeles
County Aboretum, the neighbors would have peacock pie every night, eating
it with the relish that can only come from righteous indignation.

Selene Colfox