Peacock Re: [Sca-cooks] larding turkeys and other meats

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Mon Sep 15 10:38:10 PDT 2003

Teithant KazOShea at aol.com <KazOShea at aol.com> erin 2003.09.15:
> to just over the head and then spit roasting it until done and then puilling
> the skin back over the bird. I was thinking that it would look really pretty,
> but not food safe by our standards.

I've for a long time wanted to do the swan version of this. My Plan[TM] is
to obtain skin[1], tan it with the feathers on, sterilize it as/if needed,
and then use it to cover something like a goose (or turkey) that has
been roasted.

Carry in bird with feathers and all, pull off the skin with a suitably
dramatic gesture, start carving pieces of roast bird for the head table.
Ought to be doable, and a well tanned skin should be reusable at least a
few times.

UlfR

[1] All swans being protected in Sweden this will most likely involve
talking nicely to the Museum of Natural History. Poaching is of course
an option, but...

UlfR Ketilson                             ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Graduate life: It's not just a job.  It's an indenture.