[Sca-cooks] table service in Spanish Islamic and Jewish cultures?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Sep 15 12:28:45 PDT 2003

>Ok, so I'm working on this feast, and the autocrat would like to try to
>serve each of the Christian, Muslim and Jewish courses in the manner the
>culture involved. Aside from _A Drizzle of Honey_, do people know any good
>resources on Muslim or Jewish feast service customs of the middle ages?
>
>-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
>  "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
>(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)

Manuscrito Anonimo has a brief discussion of the difference between
the cultured, up to date way of serving feasts (each dish separately,
with a discussion of order of service, I think) and the old
fashioned, uncultured way (big pile of rice, some of this dish on it
here, some of that there, ...  much less trouble for serving, whch is
why we do it that way). I gather the cultured way was a westen
innovation credited to Ziryab and that the old fashioned way was
retained in eastern Islam.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/