[Sca-cooks] table service in Spanish Islamic and Jewish cultures?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 04:07:50 PDT 2003

Also sprach david friedman:
>Manuscrito Anonimo has a brief discussion of the difference between
>the cultured, up to date way of serving feasts (each dish
>separately, with a discussion of order of service, I think) and the
>old fashioned, uncultured way (big pile of rice, some of this dish
>on it here, some of that there, ...  much less trouble for serving,
>whch is why we do it that way). I gather the cultured way was a
>westen innovation credited to Ziryab and that the old fashioned way
>was retained in eastern Islam.

I vaguely remember a book review being published in TI several years
ago, and that you had taken issue with some of the statements made in
the book (I believe it was a a modern Spanish work that the reviewer
was translating into English, or it had been translated into
English)... but wasn't it about Ziryab? I have this nagging
recollection of somebody being credited with introducing a new,
refined system of courses for meals. Although this modern work
contained some very flawed recipes (kind of like a Spanish version of
"Take A Buttock of Beef" -- take a period recipe and instead of
adapting it, find a modern recipe that is vaguely similar in one
respect or another), is it possible that you might remember the
title, and whether it had anything that might be of value in
answering Jadwiga's questions?

Adamantius