[Sca-cooks] table service in Spanish Islamic and Jewish cultures?

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Mon Sep 15 15:27:17 PDT 2003

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig! There are a number of religious and other customs
practiced by the different faith communities. The most important one for
Jews is washing both before and after the meal. This requires a rather
large open mouth vessel without a spout which the washer can fill, pick
up, and poor water over their hands. There should also be a clean towel
available for hand drying. There are some other rules having to do with
how bread is handled. Finally, there are of course the dietary laws.

Muslims also have dietary laws to consider. That said, all three religions
are world religions and table service, the nature of the menu, &c will
strongly reflect the local culture. Therefore, you should begin by picking
a specific time and place such as pre-reconquista Spain where all three
faith communities lived together. Then, develop your feast around the
food and customs of that time and place.

The drizzle of honey bit is specific to Rosh HaShannah. Normal practice
involves course kosher salt which is prinkled over the bread or you
can dip the bread in salt. If you are specifically interested in Friday
nights, then there are two loaves of bread which are covered with a cloth
while a blessing is said over wine before the bread is picked up and thanked.
The bread is then divided, salted, and passed out to those present.
There are of course rules specifying how to divide the bread, how to
pass it out, and how
to eat it. You can find this stuff in the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch. Essentially,
the bread service recalls the offering of the korban in the temple (may the
temple service be speedily restored in our day, &c.).
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |