Peacock Re: [Sca-cooks] larding turkeys and other meats

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 16 09:23:45 PDT 2003

On 16 Sep 2003, at 15:37, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> > > Ay de mi!  Where are you finding that reference to turkey?  I admit that
> >when
> > > I first started translating, I made that error, but it was corrected
> >long before
> > > my translation went up on the web.  I have posted turkey recipes from
> > > Granado, but those were published. 70 years later, in 1599.
> >
> >Oops, sorry Brighid. It's not her fault, I got my recollections mixed up.
> >
> >-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
>
> Turkeys are mentioned as part of the 'shopping lists' in Beards book All the
> Kings Cooks.  I don't have the book here at work but I know they are referenced
> in there. Olwen O

Turkeys were certainly cooked and served in late-period Europe, and we do
have recipes for them.  That's not in question.  The reason for my startlement
was that turkeys are not mentioned in de Nola.  I was afraid that some old
and inaccurate translated recipe was floating around out there, with
"turkey"where "peacock" ought to be.  I am relieved that this isn't so.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net