[Sca-cooks] redaction help

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 14:44:08 PDT 2003

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:
>Ok, so I'm going to work on redacting this recipe:
>
>A Jewish Dish of Chicken
>
>Clean the chicken and pound its entrails with almonds, breadcrumbs, a
>little flour, salt, fennel, and cut cilantro; beat it with six eggs and
>the amount of four pounds [?] of water.  Then put the chicken over the
>fire a little and place it in a clean pot with five spoonfuls of sweet
>oil, and do not stop stirring it over the fire in the oil until it is
>lightly browned.  Then make a mash of the stuffing prepared earlier and
>leave it until it is bound together and thickened.  Pour it out and put
>it around the stuffing, adorn with cut rue and fennel, buds of mint,
>and minced almonds, and present it, God willing.
>

>Stuffing:
>Chicken entrails (liver, heart, gizzard?)

Since we can't really be certain this is an accurately Jewish dish,
the temptation to assume the various bloody organs (like lungs,
spleen, and liver) will be absent isn't necessarily justified, plus
there are things like intestines to be considered, as well as the
oviducts and such, if it's a hen. You know. Guts. ;-)

But I get the feeling you're making a sort of liverwurst-ey stuffing.

>Almonds
>Breadcrumbs
>Flour
>Salt
>Fennel
>Cut Cilantro
>	(mashed together)
>6 eggs
>water?
>	(beat together)
>
>Brown the chicken (in pieces) in oil/fry the chicken in oil?

Yeah. Saute until evenly browned and cooked through.

>Cook the stuffing until it is bound together (fried? baked? boiled?)

I wonder if this is put in a baking dish and placed in the
ashes/embers. Baking it in a slow oven (to avoid a thick, crunchy
brown crust... even though that sounds good) might be the closest
modern home equivalent.

>Put the stuffing in a dish, arrange the chicken around it, and garnish
>with rue, fennel, mint and minced almonds?

So... What help did you need???

Adamantius