[Sca-cooks] redaction help

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Sep 19 00:31:02 PDT 2003

I'm leaving the original recipe in here:

> >Clean the chicken and pound its entrails with almonds, breadcrumbs, a
> >little flour, salt, fennel, and cut cilantro; beat it with six eggs and
> >the amount of four pounds [?] of water.  Then put the chicken over the
> >fire a little and place it in a clean pot with five spoonfuls of sweet
> >oil, and do not stop stirring it over the fire in the oil until it is
> >lightly browned.  Then make a mash of the stuffing prepared earlier and
> >leave it until it is bound together and thickened.  Pour it out and put
> >it around the stuffing, adorn with cut rue and fennel, buds of mint,
> >and minced almonds, and present it, God willing.
> >

> >Stuffing:
> >Chicken entrails (liver, heart, gizzard?)
> Since we can't really be certain this is an accurately Jewish dish,
> the temptation to assume the various bloody organs (like lungs,
> spleen, and liver) will be absent isn't necessarily justified, plus
> there are things like intestines to be considered, as well as the
> oviducts and such, if it's a hen. You know. Guts. ;-)
> But I get the feeling you're making a sort of liverwurst-ey stuffing.

Well, suppose I want to do this for a feast. What chicken inside bits do I
need? Would chicken livers and hearts and gizzards be sufficient, do you
suppose?

> >Cook the stuffing until it is bound together (fried? baked? boiled?)
>
> I wonder if this is put in a baking dish and placed in the
> ashes/embers. Baking it in a slow oven (to avoid a thick, crunchy
> brown crust... even though that sounds good) might be the closest
> modern home equivalent.

>From the other translation, this sounds reasonable.

> >Put the stuffing in a dish, arrange the chicken around it, and garnish
> >with rue, fennel, mint and minced almonds?
> So... What help did you need???

Well, the cooking suggestion above was a real help. And knowing what
chicken inside bits to use, that would be helpful too.

(I just am WAY too unfamiliar with poultry!)

BTW, if I were to use boneless chicken thighs for this, is there any bits
that would have to be removed to be structurally the same as kosher
chicken? I just can't afford kosher chicken for 40 on a budget that is
probably also going to have to stretch to salmon and lamb.)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
 "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)