[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a period cheese filled pasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Sep 16 17:11:16 PDT 2003

Sorry to make two replies to one letter, but this was really preying on my
mind.

At 04:27 PM 9/16/2003 -0600, Mirhaxa wrote:
>. . . I think we resist both adaptation and interpretation as they
>have conotations of a broader leeway or artistic license than we are
>trying to encourage in the making of SCA food.

That sounds like the old bureaucratic method sometimes called the
Rectification of Names. Decide what you want a thing to be, and then call
it by that name until it changes its nature. I prefer to call things what
they already are, to the best of my ability. Besides, I think that this
point is far more relevant to "adaptation" than to "interpretation".

My father, when he was in the Air Force, once was transported by air and
arrived considerably later than scheduled after several delays and route
changes. The pilot wrote a report, mentioning the delays, etc., and
concluding with "Mission completed as briefed." My father questioned this,
pointing out some ways in which instructions in the briefing were not
carried out. The pilot explained that nobody was going to notice the
details in the middle, so he ended all of these reports with "Mission
completed as briefed." It gave him a good reputation, even if it didn't get
any missions completed as briefed.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon