[Sca-cooks] redaction help

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Sep 16 19:29:54 PDT 2003

>Ok, so I'm going to work on redacting this recipe:
>
>A Jewish Dish of Chicken
>
>Clean the chicken and pound its entrails with almonds, breadcrumbs, a
>little flour, salt, fennel, and cut cilantro; beat it with six eggs and
>the amount of four pounds [?] of water.  Then put the chicken over the
>fire a little and place it in a clean pot with five spoonfuls of sweet
>oil, and do not stop stirring it over the fire in the oil until it is
>lightly browned.  Then make a mash of the stuffing prepared earlier and
>leave it until it is bound together and thickened.  Pour it out and put
>it around the stuffing, adorn with cut rue and fennel, buds of mint,
>and minced almonds, and present it, God willing.

What source are you going from? The Perry translation has two recipes
with ths title. The one close to what you are quoting is:
---
A Jewish Dish of Chicken

Clean the chicken and pound its entrails with almonds, breadcrumbs, a
little flour, salt, and cut-up fennel and cilantro. Beat it with six
eggs and the amount of a quarter ratl of water. Then expose the
chicken over the fire a little and place it in a clean pot with five
spoonfuls of fresh oil, and do not stop turning it on the fire in the
oil until it is well browned. Then cover the contents of the pot with
stuffing prepared earlier and leave it until it is bound together and
wrinkled. Ladle it out and put the stuffing around it, garnish with
cut rue and fennel, eyes of mint, and toasted almonds, and present
it, God willing.
---

There is also:
---
A Jewish Dish of Chicken

Clean the chicken and take out its entrails, cut off the extremities
of its thighs and wings and the neck, and salt the chicken and leave
it. Take these extremities and the neck and the entrails, and put
them in a pot with fine spices and all the flavorings and cilantro
juice, onion juice, whole pine-nuts, a little vinegar and a little
murri, good oil, citron leaves, and stalks of fennel. Put this over a
moderate fire and when it is done and the greater part of the sauce
has gone, cover the contents of the pot with three eggs, grated
breadcrumbs and fine flour, crush the liver, add it to this crust and
cook carefully until the liver and the crust are cooked and wrinkled.
Then take the chicken and roast it carefully, and strike it with two
eggs, oil and murri, and do not stop greasing [basting] the chicken
inside and out with this until it is browned and roasted. Then take a
second little pot and put in two spoonfuls of oil and half a spoonful
of murri, half a spoonful of vinegar and two spoons of aromatic
rosewater, onion juice, spices and flavorings. Put this on the fire
so that it cooks gently, and when it has cooked, cut up ...[about two
words missing]... and leave it until it is absorbed. Then ladle it
into a dish [and pour the rest of the sauce on it, and cut up an egg
and sprinkle with spices, and ladle the preceding almonds into
another dish], and garnish it too with eggyolks; sprinkle it with
fine spices and present both dishes, God willing.

[Bracketed matter in Arabic but not in Huici Miranda's translation.]
---
Is this your translation from Huici Miranda, or the retranslation
from Huici Miranda done by several people that I was distributing
before I got Perry to redo it from the Arabic, or ... ?

The Perry translation is webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm

--
David/Cariadoc