[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

widener wideners at hilconet.com
Thu Sep 18 09:34:58 PDT 2003

Heat is not necessary to smoke meat and smoke is best absorbed by meat at
around 55 degrees. That is why you slaughter on the first cold day of
Autumn. Also the brining process was an intergral part of preserving the
meat. It was neccessary to boil hams before eating them to remove the salt.
A smoked salted ham braised with mirapoix veges and alot of red wine makes a
flavorful mild meat. I don't know about the anti-bacterial nature of smoke
by itself but it seems to work. Plus you are using a whole muscle meat with
only surface exposure to bacteria.
Bro Stephon