[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Thu Sep 18 11:00:33 PDT 2003

Also sprach widener:
>Heat is not necessary to smoke meat and smoke is best absorbed by meat at
>around 55 degrees. That is why you slaughter on the first cold day of
>Autumn. Also the brining process was an intergral part of preserving the
>meat. It was neccessary to boil hams before eating them to remove the salt.
>A smoked salted ham braised with mirapoix veges and alot of red wine makes a
>flavorful mild meat. I don't know about the anti-bacterial nature of smoke
>by itself but it seems to work. Plus you are using a whole muscle meat with
>only surface exposure to bacteria.
>Bro Stephon

Okay, how about this as an intellectual exercise?

While I agree about the heat and its role in smoking, I think it's
worth pointing out that in hot-smoking, the object is to cook the
food while smoking it, whereas with cold-smoking, the object is to
smoke the food, either for flavor (originally, I suspect, unheard
of), or for its preservative action.

Yes, salt is important, and it is important both for its
anti-bacterial action (plasmolysis, etc.), as well as its ability to
osmose (is that a verb?) or drain moisture from certain foods, such
as meat.

Smoke is, as I understand it, pretty universally regarded as, along
with pepper, an insect repellant. Salt and the concomitant drying are
what keep bacteria to a minimum, but salty meat (up to a point) that
won't support major bacteria or mold growth can still become maggoty
if a fly decides it's tasty.

So, to my actual question, which might help illustrate the importance
of smoking as a primary preservation method:

How many foods can you think of (and there are some, but still, work
with me here) that are smoked but not salted, as a preservation
method? How many of them actually preserve?

To start people off I'll throw chipotle chiles (which are jalapeno
peppers smoked until dry) into the mix...

Anybody else?

Adamantius