[Sca-cooks] period smoke houses?

Thu Sep 18 12:53:16 PDT 2003

I've never encountered an operating smoke house that was anywhere near 55
degrees.

Smoke houses are designed for "cold smoking."  The temperature of the heat
source is normally around 180-200 degrees F and the meat is left to smoke
until it reaches an internal termperature of around 160 degrees F.  The
smoke coats the meat rather than is absorbed by the meat.  Heat kills the
bacteria, cooks and dehydrates the meat (especially the outer layer).  Smoke
builds a crust.

The back yard smoker is for "hot smoking."  The heat source is 225-300
degrees F.  The meat, depending of type, is brought to standard internal
temperatures of 145-180 degrees F.  In hot smoking, the meat is not
adequately smoked for preservation and needs to be refrigerated.

In either case, the air temperature by the meat must be at or above the
internal temperature of the meat.

Bear