[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a period cheese filled pasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Sep 19 00:27:06 PDT 2003

> One could say that this is a trivial issue. Well, so are all the other
> in-group buzzwords that make the English language less useful and less
> accessible. But when you add them together, and then consider that English
> must be the most common second language in the world, it amounts to a very
> serious problem. This problem can only be alleviated by individual people
> taking more responsibility for the clarity of the language as they use it.
> Why can't we do that?

Well, as you said, "individual people taking more responsibility for the
clarity of the language as they use it." Which to me means, you use the
most clear term you can, consistently. And if enough people agree with
you, they start using it too.

As for buzzwords-- I'm in a profession which has buzzwords we use
internally (MARC, bibliographic instruction, SuDocs, metadata, AACR2) and
which struggles continually to come up with ways to explain to the general
public what we are doing in non-jargon terms. But we keep the jargon to
use among us, because it improves the clarity of communication between
members of the profession.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
 "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)