[Sca-cooks] Redaction? Definitions and commentary

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Sep 20 19:38:02 PDT 2003

I wrote

>>An adaptation would be if you had the recipe for cooking over an
>>open fire and converted it into "so many minutes on the stove at
>>medium" and the like.

Adamantius replied:

>Perhaps you're confusing "the best way to do" something with
>"universal practice"?
>
>Too often what is known as a redaction in the SCA is a modern recipe
>which produces a dish similar in content and structure (to some
>varying extent) to the original dish. Unfortunately, it's probably
>more often than not; it's probably a function of the way moderns
>learn to cook. The better versions will also include the original,
>but frequently include nothing more than an attribution.

I wouldn't describe a modern recipe that the cook thought produced
something similar to a period recipe as a redaction. If I use the
term, it is to mean an attempt to recreate a period recipe by filling
in the missing information.

>Now, bearing in mind that "redact" is essentially synonymous with
>"edit", how is providing the original recipe with notes a redaction?
>Has the text been changed (transcription changes notwithstanding) or
>merely added to in a way that makes the distinction between text and
>addition obvious? I would say it's more a period recipe in annotated
>form.

I wan't arguing for "redaction;" I don't know what the best term is.
I was arguing against "adaptation." As you mentioned earlier, I tend
to use "worked out recipe."
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/