[Sca-cooks] Re: smoking meat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 19 05:06:33 PDT 2003

I was jesting slightly about the paper, which would burn at Bradbury book
tempterature, but I am mildly interested in the thermodynamics of the
smoking process.

When you burn wood, you don't get vapor release until the surface
temperature is 212 degrees to boil off the trapped water vapor, then you get
outgassing of volatiles at around 300 and flame at about 540 (IIRC, which is
why I asked Stefan if he had any any information on the smoking point of
wood).

A thermally efficient building would rise to just below the temperature of
the heat source (a thermal mass oven?).  As you point out, smokehouses
aren't thermally efficient.  The meat is hung at a distance above the heat
source so the surface temperature of the meat is probably a function of the
inverse square of the distance with a number of other variables tossed in.

Color me weird, but I think it would be fun to measure the temperature of
the heat source and the surface and internal temperature of the meat in a
smokehouse to study the process and check the various numbers that are out
there.

Bear