[Sca-cooks] Smoked fish and meat--questions

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Sun Sep 21 09:31:31 PDT 2003

david friedman wrote:

> On a tangent from the smokehouse discussion ...  .
>
> We've been thinking that we need more things for Pennsic that don't
> require either a cooler to preserve or cooking. That way we can do a
> larger variety of cold meals. One possibility is to use smoked meat or
> fish.
>
> Neither Betty nor I has much experience with such. Are there
> commercially available products that will reliably keep for a week or
> more without refrigeration, and where does one get them?
> Alternatively, what plausibly period ways to we have of making such
> things that don't require hanging them in a chimney for months, where
> a fire is kept all the year round.
>
> Given my persona, pork products are not an option.

Your Grace, you might check www.nbsmokehouse.com for a variety of smoked
meats.  I will give fair warning, however:  They smoke using New World
woods and spices, for the most part.  In addition to smoked Beef
Brisket, they also sell smoked Beef Tenderloin.  There is also the
smoked Turkey, Pheasant, Chicken, Cornish Game Hens, and smoked Sockeye
Salmon.  Since the Salmon comes in a sealed foil pouch, they claim it
can be stored without refrigeration.  After opening, I do not know how
long it would last.

I would definitely stay away from their sausages, as I believe all of
them contain pork, with possibly the exception of the Beef Summer
Sausage Chubs.

--Cian O'Madadhain
mka John Kemker

DISCLAIMER:  My sister's husband's cousin is the Smokemaster for New
Braunfels Smokehouse.  I, however, don't receive anything for informing
you of its existence or product lines, not even a leftover piece of
smoked salmon.  I have, however, enjoyed their products IMMENSELY and
can speak for their quality.