[Sca-cooks] Re: smoking meat

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Fri Sep 19 06:33:53 PDT 2003

> What happens with a cool smoker is that the smoky wood burns, yes, but
aside
> from and below the foods to be cool smoked. It's quite possible to enter
one
> and check on the foods- it's warm, but not terribly warm- just hold your
> breath. A properly set up smoker has the drafts set up so that the smoke
> cools before it contacts the foods being smoked. If the smoke ISN'T
cooled,
> the whole thing would burn down, since most are made of cheap wood on a
> cinderblock base.

Alton Brown suggests a two-chamber setup for a cold smoker, with the firebox
set to one side, and connected to the smokebox with vent ducting and a small
fan. http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season5/EA1E12.htm

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Tips: Wages we pay other people's hired help.

---