[Sca-cooks] Redaction? Definitions and commentary

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 19 21:49:11 PDT 2003

>Also sprach Phlip:
>>Adaptation has the implication of deliberately making changes to the recipe
>>(more salt and sugar, for "modern" tastes, maybe?)
>
>Certainly adaptation is change. But are we changing the dish or the
>recipe? Certainly the intent is the latter, and the former, in
>theory, is what we're _not_ after.
>
>So I have no problem with "adaptation". If you look at recipes in
>cookbooks that come from famous chefs, often there'll be a little
>fine-print credit saying "adapted by" so-and-so; what that means is
>that the 60-serving recipe meant to be cooked in the convection oven
>has been altered to produce a dish similar to that chef's signature
>dish, but which can easily be prepared at home for 4 people. Whether
>that constitutes changing the actual dish, substantially, is open to
>debate.
>
>Adamantius

But that  isn't what we are doing. What we call a redaction is an
original recipe plus additional information--"if you do it this way
it comes out tasty." It's a conjectural reconstruction, not an
adaptation.

An adaptation would be if you had the recipe for cooking over an open
fire and converted it into "so many minutes on the stove at medium"
and the like.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/