[Sca-cooks] Redaction? Definitions and commentary

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 18:08:32 PDT 2003

Also sprach Phlip:
>Adaptation has the implication of deliberately making changes to the recipe
>(more salt and sugar, for "modern" tastes, maybe?)

Certainly adaptation is change. But are we changing the dish or the
recipe? Certainly the intent is the latter, and the former, in
theory, is what we're _not_ after.

So I have no problem with "adaptation". If you look at recipes in
cookbooks that come from famous chefs, often there'll be a little
fine-print credit saying "adapted by" so-and-so; what that means is
that the 60-serving recipe meant to be cooked in the convection oven
has been altered to produce a dish similar to that chef's signature
dish, but which can easily be prepared at home for 4 people. Whether
that constitutes changing the actual dish, substantially, is open to
debate.

Adamantius