[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a periodcheesefilled pasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Randy Goldberg MD goldbergr1 at cox.net
Sat Sep 20 17:00:26 PDT 2003

> >. . . you have defined YOURSELF to be outside the community.
>
> By not accepting just *one* given usage for just *one* word? How can you
be
> so hateful and intolerant? You are diminishing your own heart and mind by
> saying this.

How DARE you accuse me of HATRED and INTOLERANCE??? You know NOTHING about
me, and you assume because I challenge you that I hate you? You are a fool,
and demonstrate your own intolerance. YOU set yourself apart - do not
project your feelings onto me!

> >Language grows and changes. . . .
>
> You missed the earlier part of the discussion, where I pointed out the
fact
> that language does nothing of its own volition. People decide what
language
> to use and how to use it, and I have decided that I will not agree with
> that fraction of the cooks in the SCA who have gotten into the habit of
> misusing this word. Since the usage in question was incorrect to begin
> with, and remains controversial in the SCA (I may be the most active and
> direct advocate for reforming this usage, but I am *not* the only one), it
> is *not* now standard. I hope that it never becomes standard, because it
> would add a bit of utterly useless complexity to our language.

1. I have never encountered any "controversy" over the use of this word
until you decided to introduce it here.
2. Who decided it was "incorrect", you? Since you seem to prefer the word
"adaptation", I will point out that Merriam-Webster has them as essentially
synonymous: "redact: to select or adapt for publication : EDIT " "redaction:
a work that has been redacted : EDITION, VERSION "
3. YOU decided? Get off your high horse, pal. What gives YOU the right to
dictate to anyone else? Who died and made you Grammar Queen? I will go right
on deciding "what language to use and how to use it", and if you don't like
it, up yours, go play somewhere else.

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: I think I think, therefore I think I am. I think.

---