[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a periodcheesefilled pasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sun Sep 21 00:31:00 PDT 2003

At 08:00 PM 9/20/2003 -0400, Avraham wrote:
> > >. . . you have defined YOURSELF to be outside the community.
> >
> > By not accepting just *one* given usage for just *one* word? How can you
>be
> > so hateful and intolerant? You are diminishing your own heart and mind by
> > saying this.
>
>How DARE you accuse me of HATRED and INTOLERANCE??? You know NOTHING about
>me, and you assume because I challenge you that I hate you? You are a fool,
>and demonstrate your own intolerance. YOU set yourself apart - do not
>project your feelings onto me!

The last paragraph was written by the same person who projected his own
feelings very explicitly onto the situation: ". . . you have defined
YOURSELF to be outside the community . . ." Nobody else in the community
had said this, nor even implied it directly. If all serious non-conformists
were excluded *by* *definition*, even Avraham might not be safe. The only
thing that really defines me as being outside this community is that the
flame war against me is being waged by a few people who have already gotten
into the in-group.

Anyway, I responded to no more than the painfully obvious implication of
his words. Now that he claims that he's supporting my exclusion in a
non-hateful manner, he's trying to have his cake and eat it too. If he is
not hateful, let him say things that are not hateful.

>Since you seem to prefer the word "adaptation"

Avraham attributed this to me mistakenly.

>I will point out that Merriam-Webster has them as essentially synonymous . . .

He wrote this while complaining that I was too dogmatic about word
definitions. Avraham's "essentially synonymous" covers significant
differences. But if they're essentially synonymous, then the word that is
in the common English vocabulary (with a compatible commonly-known meaning)
seems to be the better choice. Thank you, Avraham, for your support for
"adaptation." :-) I hope you don't mind that I prefer "interpretation"
instead. My second preference is undecided between "adaptation" and
"reconstruction"--the former seems too broad, while the latter has
connotations that seem too strict for many cases.

>What gives YOU the right to dictate to anyone else?

This is proof positive of who's really projecting. Avraham is the first one
who even suggested such drastic actions as excluding (and thus silencing)
anyone, other than in vague hints. He's the *only* one so far who
definitely verges on dictating (in contrast even with Elaine). I'm only
speaking up for an idea, with no intention of calling for any enforcement
methods (in contexts for which I am not personally responsible, e. g. as an
editor), either now or later, unless you count open discussion about ideas
as enforcement.

Alex Clark