[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a period cheese filledpasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Sep 20 18:53:21 PDT 2003

At 07:24 PM 9/20/2003 -0400, Vincenzo Martino Mazza wrote:
>Etymology: French rédaction, from Late Latin redaction-,
>redactio act of reducing, compressing, from Latin redigere
>to bring back, reduce, from re-, red- re- + agere to lead --
>more at AGENT
>
>Date: 1785

Thanks for reminding me. Date: 1785. For "interpretation" the same source
(http://www.m-w.com/) says "Date:14th century." A period persona can more
easily interpret a recipe than redact one.

>. . .
>I especially like the concept of "to bring back".

Which, in this etymology, is three steps removed from the English word (and
not clearly stated). Interesting in an esthetic sense, though not
necessarily relevant to the question at hand.

>Usually (within the SCA) I have understood that a proper
>redaction of a period food would be a written work . . .

On that point I could not agree more. Unfortunately, the usage in question
encourages people to call food (the physical substance) a "redaction" when
it is based on a period recipe. That's one reason why I'm saying that
"redaction" is just being used as a direct substitute for the plain-English
"interpretation." I ask that anyone who wants to continue the discussion
please look up the transitive senses of "interpret" (not intransitive,
because the usages in question are transitive). Then ask which words more
exactly and explicitly match what we do when we work with period recipes.

Alex Clark