[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a period cheese filledpasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Sep 20 16:24:48 PDT 2003

Alex Clark wrote:

> At 05:35 AM 9/16/2003 -0700, Helewyse de Birkestad wrote:
> >. . .  So it may be that the dish in question was just a
> >sweet redaction of a savory dish, served cold instead of
> >hot.
>
> That's what I'm talking about. This sentence could be
> translated into English by replacing "redaction" with either
> "adaptation" or "interpretation".

[snip]

> Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon
>
> "Redaction" esse delendam. >:->

I thought it might be good to "go back to basics" for a
moment ...

>From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary http://www.m-w.com/

Main Entry: re·dac·tion

Etymology: French rédaction, from Late Latin redaction-,
redactio act of reducing, compressing, from Latin redigere
to bring back, reduce, from re-, red- re- + agere to lead --
more at AGENT

Date: 1785

1 : an act or instance of redacting something

2 : a work that has been redacted : EDITION, VERSION -
re·dac·tion·al  /-shn&l, -sh&-n&l/ adjective

I see that the dictionary definition leads to concepts
such as "edit", "edition", "version", "agent" ...

I especially like the concept of "to bring back".

Usually (within the SCA) I have understood that a proper
redaction of a period food would be a written work that
included:

	the period source (citation),
	the original recipe text,
	a translation of the original text,
	a recipe that recreates the original, and
	the actual ingredients, prep, method, cooking time ...

This form of documentation would accompany an A&S entry,
period feast, ...

By including both the original text and translation as well as
the final worked out recipe, we would be able to see the modern
substitutions.

I am,
Lord Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream