[Sca-cooks] Smoked fish and meat--questions

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 18:59:15 PDT 2003

--- James May <james.may at mchsi.com> wrote:
> At 12:20 PM 9/20/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >Any experience on how long it keeps without
> refrigeration?
> >
> >>         How about the commercially packaged
> smoked salmon?
>          I've bought it at Sam's club, in a
> wooden case, that had been in
> the store for months with no ill effects.
>
> Jehan Yves

And the salmon was just lying on the wood?  Not
on a plastic lining?  Not sealed in a plastic
envelope?

I was given some smoked salmon in a wooden box
many years ago and the salmon itself was sealed
in plastic, which keep it fresh.  It was
delicious.  But it would not have been if it had
not been sealed in plastic.

I think that Cariadoc, with his commitment to
keeping in persona, wants to eliminate all things
plastic from his encampment and as many
non-period items as he can.  I truly honor his
attempts.  "You are a better man than I am, Gunga
Din!"

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.