[Sca-cooks] Smoked fish and meat--questions

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Sat Sep 20 22:55:08 PDT 2003

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> [2003.09.21] wrote:
> As Phlip mentioned, you can make your own dried meats. These could be
> done a slices for jerky or done in small chips in which case they could
> then be rehydrated and used or tossed into a soup or stew. The smaller
> chunks would dry quicker and have less chance for spoilage. One of the
> commercial dehydrators would come in handy for this or an oven set on

One thing that I have done for backpacking trips is dried hamburger.
This is totally non-period (AFAIK), but works well for a purely food
standpoint. Rather simple procedure; fry hamburger until barely done
adding finelly chopped onions, garlic, spices as desired), and rinse
with boiling water (to remove excess fats which would tend to get
rancid). Spread in dryer and dry. Reconstitues in a few minutes when
boiled. Mostly usefull for "meat sauce" type dishes.

But this is not period, so I would personally hesititate to use it in an
SCA context.

/UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                             ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Graduate life: It's not just a job.  It's an indenture.