[Sca-cooks] Smoked fish and meat--questions

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Sep 21 00:55:29 PDT 2003

>As Phlip mentioned, you can make your own dried meats. These could
>be done a slices for jerky or done in small chips in which case they
>could then be rehydrated and used or tossed into a soup or stew. The
>smaller chunks would dry quicker and have less chance for spoilage.
>One of the commercial dehydrators would come in handy for this or an
>oven set on low power will also work. For a few details, see this
>file:
>drying-foods-msg  (55K)  9/16/02    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/drying-foods-msg.html
>
>What about the hard salamis and such. They don't need refrigeration.
>Pepperoni too, as well as summer sausage.
>
>Stefan
>--------
>THLord Stefan li Rous

As I think I said in my original post, part of the objective is to
have things that don't require cooking. At Pennsic this year, the
encampment was down to just the four of us, and getting a fire going
and cooking a meal over it is a good deal of trouble for two adults
and two kids. So I thought it would be useful to have more things
that could be eaten cold.

We do use beef salami, and beef or turkey sausage, and apples, and
bread, and melons, and ...  . But I was looking for some more things,
and smoked meat and fish seemed like plausible candidates that I
didn't know enough about.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/