[Sca-cooks] Re: cooker

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Sun Sep 21 09:16:49 PDT 2003

Just to add a bit of info:

My brother-in-law has a cousin that works at the New Braunfels
Smokehouse in New Braunfels, Texas as the Smokemaster.  I asked Joe, my
B-i-L, to check with Rocky, the Smokemaster, if they cooled the smoke or
the meat down to 55F when smoking the meat.

The answer was "No."  They don't cool it down.  They "cold-smoke" the
meat, but they cold-smoke it at slightly elevated temperatures compared
to the "55F" number.

I'm curious as to where the "55F" number originally came from.  What
references I've seen calls anywhere from 100F to 120F "cold-smoking" and
150F to 200F "hot-smoking."

--Cian