[Sca-cooks] Re: cooker

Fri Sep 19 07:14:54 PDT 2003

Besides injecting a little humor, the point I was trying to make is cold
weather is a false requirement for smoking meat for preservation without
refrigeration.  Plains Indians used a combination of smoke, air and sun to
achieve the effect.  The buccaneers smoked boucan on racks over low fires.
I do suspect that in both cases, the dehydration was more critical than the
smoking.

All that aside, it should be pointed out that smokehouses in Texas pre-date
refrigeration.  There is a replica of one at Washington-on-the-Brazos.

Bear